Friday, November 12, 2010

Jason and Laura





How did you meet?

We met at a church singles dance in 1998 in Las Vegas. Jason had been back from his mission about two months and was invited by a friend of his to go. The funny thing is that neither of us really wanted to go. I had to work early the next morning (it was on a Friday night) and so I thought I would just go for a few hours and then leave. I guess the Lord had other plans for us! 

How did Jason propose?

We had already talked about the fact that we wanted to get married but our philosophy was "the date wouldn't be set in stone till we had the stone". I knew that he wanted to propose but he needed to get the ring first. Of course, every time we had a date I would wonder if the proposal was going to happen.  Since both of us had served missions, some of our dates consisted of attending the temple together. Right before Jason was to leave for BYU for the summer, we went on one of our last dates to the temple. Usually right after we got done, we would go right to dinner but this time, Jason wanted to take a walk around the temple grounds. I started to wonder if something was up because this was unusual. He led me over to a bench and proceeded to hand me a small, white box. Of course I was getting little butterflies inside because I knew what sort of box this was. When I opened it up, inside was a green Ring Pop! He said something to the effect of "This rock will have to do till I get the real one." He put it on my finger and then I took a few licks. I looked away for a moment and when I looked back, there was Jason on his knees with the real ring box!


When did you get married?

We first met in April 1998, got engaged in June 1998, and were married in November 1998. Jason had wanted to get married at the end of the summer but his sister was getting married then and I didn't want to overwhelm his mom with TWO weddings in the same month. We were married in the Las Vegas, NV LDS temple.


Where did you go on your honeymoon?

We spent one day of our honeymoon visiting Disneyland and then the next two days at a beach front hotel in La Jolla, CA. We got married the Saturday before Thanksgiving and instead of returning to Las Vegas, we spent Thanksgiving with one of my friend's parents in California.



Where did you first live after you were married?

We were both still in school at the time and were attending the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Our first home was a small, one bedroom apartment not far from campus. It wasn't a bad place to live except for the cockroaches!! Yuck!! We ended up moving about 7 months later into another apartment that was much nicer.




















Did you finish college?

I graduated in 2000 with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education. That summer, we moved to Utah so that Jason could attend Brigham Young University. We lived in on campus housing in Wymount Terrace till he graduated with his Master's degree in Accounting in 2003. We then moved to Las Vegas because Jason got a job as an Audit accountant with Deloitte.



Describe your first house.

Our first house was 2 stories with 2 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths that I describe as a "detached" town house. We didn't have any backyard and if you stood between our house and our neighbors with your arms outstretched, you would be able to touch both of them. It was small but adequate for the two of us. We liked our neighborhood and our ward.

What things do you like to do together?

Jason and I really like spending time together whether it's taking road trips to see our family, hiking or going on a cruise together. We have traveled around the country and really enjoy seeing new places. We have been able to visit the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize, and Mexico. On our last cruise, Jason got me to go ocean kayaking with him which took nerves of steel for me NOT to panic! I mean, I was in the open ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment